Current Size: 100%
We encourage responsible and respectful online activity by students, faculty and staff and maintain a commitment to academic freedom on social media platforms.
As a comprehensive research university, Howard University (HowardU/Howard) recognizes the importance of participating in online conversations and activities. We encourage responsible and respectful online activity by students, faculty and staff and maintain a commitment to academic freedom on social media platforms.
We expect that the following university core values will govern the online choices Howard University communicators make:
Truth | Service | Leadership | Excellence
These guidelines, which you can view as a PDF, are provided to outline how the above core values should be demonstrated in official communications in social media spaces. The guidelines apply to material that Howard departments, offices and related units publish on Howard-hosted websites and related Howard social media sites. Any questions about these Guidelines should be directed to the Office of University Communications
All members of the Howard Community are encouraged to adhere to and stay up to date on the rules of engagement, policies and/or terms of service supplied by each individual platform (of which evolve and grow daily):
Howard University encourages responsible and respectful online activity and maintains a commitment to academic freedom on social media platforms. If any social media account for any entity of the University is created after June 1, 2015, it must be approved by the department, unit or organization leader and then by the Office of University Communications, in order to be officially listed on the University’s directory.
New social media accounts should take into consideration the following seven (7) guidelines before creation, operation and dissemination:
- Purpose - What is the objective for creating the account?
- Content - Will there be enough content to consistently populate the platform?
- Audience - Is there an identifiable audience?
- Need - Is there a need for social/digital communication in this particular space, immediate or otherwise?
- Collaboration - Is there an existing University account that makes collaboration possible?
- Maintenance - Is there a University staff member or University social ambassador to operate the account?
- Evaluation - How will this account be measured for success?
* The answers should determine if an account should be created and if an account is needed.
The Howard University Social Media Directory is the official listing of the University’s social media presences on campus. The University’s social media presence continues to grow both within and across new and evolving platforms.
If you are operating an account or wish to create an account on a platform where the University does not have an official social presence and would like the account listed on the University’s official directory, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
However, across the five (5) platforms where the University currently occupies a presence—in order to be listed—a unit, department, organization or entity, should meet all of the following criteria:
- Part of our community? - Follow/Like the official Howard University presence on the respective platform: (Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | LinkedIn)
- Have an audience? - Have more than 75 fans/followers.
- Have a complete picture? - Contain relevant, appropriate, detailed profile information and photos.
- Have consistent content to share? - Provide up-to-date, engaging and University-related content.
- Have University connections? - Include official link to the respective web page or University-page presence.
- Related to the University? - Identify a clear relationship between the presence of the account and the University.
- Have the necessary maintenance and staffing resources? - Have a social media ambassador or official University administrator for the account.
- Greenlit? - Have approval by the department, unit or organization leader/administrator to create the social account.
- On brand? - Meet the appropriate and correct branding as detailed by the University’s branding guidelines (PDF).
A comprehensive list of all Howard University social media accounts.
|Development and Alumni Relations||YouTube|
|Office of Admissions|
|Office of Financial Aid|
|Office of University Communications|
|Howard University NAACP|
|Office of Honors and Scholar Development|
|Office of Student Life and Activities|
|Office of Student Success and Transition|
|Office of Sustainability|
|Office of Undergraduate Studies|
|Ralph Bunche International Affairs Center|
|Ronald W. Walters Leadership and Public Policy Center|
|Division of Student of Affairs|
|Andrew Rankin Chapel|
|Center for Pre-Professional Education|
|Department of Public Safety|
|Enterprise Technology Services|
|Howard University Bookstore|
|Howard University Hospital|
|Howard University Law Library|
|Howard University Library System||YouTube|
|African Students Association|
|African Studies Graduate Student Association|
|Caribbean Students Association|
|The Moorland-Spingarn Research Center|
|Howard University National Society for Collegiate Scholars|
|USAID Donald M. Payne International Development Graduate Fellowship|
|Showtime Marching Band|
|We Are Howard|
|Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering|
|College of Dentistry|
|College of Medicine|
|College of Pharmacy|
|Department of Communications and Science|
|Department of Mechanical Engineering|
|Department of Media, Film, and Journalism|
|Department of Philosophy|
|Department of Physics & Astronomy|
|School of Architecture & Design|
|School of Business|
|School of Communications||YouTube|
|School of Divinity||YouTube|
|School of Law||YouTube|
|School of Social Work|
|Student Government Association of School of Divinity|
|Department of Theatre Arts|
This document outlines how the core values should be demonstrated in official communications on social media.
- Social Media Guidelines (PDF)
Social Media Coverage Request
Please download and complete this form (PDF).
Five business days notice is required to ensure coverage. However, submitting this form does not guarantee social media coverage.
Thank you for viewing Howard University's Social Media Training Session. Please provide feedback on your experience.
Please direct questions to the Office of University Communications at email@example.com.